The pressure ulcer treatment market is comprised of items and technologies used to prevent and cure pressure ulcers, commonly known as bedsores or pressure sores. Pressure ulcers are a frequent and deadly medical ailment that can form when the skin and underlying tissue are subjected to continuous pressure, particularly in bony parts of the body such as the hips, tailbone, and heels.
The pressure reduces blood supply to the afflicted region, causing tissue damage and ulcer formation. The pressure ulcer treatment market encompasses a variety of items and equipment meant to prevent and cure pressure ulcers and enhance patient outcomes, such as mattresses, cushions, dressings, and support surfaces.
The global pressure ulcer treatment market is anticipated to reach US$ 7,472.2 million by the end of 2030 expanding at a CAGR of 6.4% from 2022-2030 (forecast period).
The increased occurrence of pressure ulcers, particularly among the elderly and immobile patients, and the increasing use of sophisticated and new treatment methods are driving the market. A Hoover dressing is used to enhance wound healing by removing excess fluid and microorganisms from the wound. Surgery may be required in extreme situations to remove damaged tissue and improve recovery.
The pressure ulcer treatment market is likely to expand in the next years as a result of factors such as an aging population, rising chronic illness prevalence, and increased use of sophisticated and novel treatment solutions. Ultimately, the purpose of the pressure ulcer treatment market is to give patients with effective and efficient treatment alternatives while also improving their quality of life.
Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market Recover amid COVID-19 Pandemic:
The COVID-19 pandemic influenced the pressure ulcer treatment business since healthcare resources were diverted to address the pandemic.
- The market has experienced modest recovery, since pressure ulcers remain a serious healthcare concern, particularly for older and immobile patients, who are more likely to acquire pressure ulcers.
- During the pandemic, hospitalized COVID-19 patients had an increased need for pressure ulcer prevention items and equipment such as specific mattresses and cushions.
- The epidemic has prompted the deployment of telehealth and remote patient monitoring technology, which may be used to remotely monitor pressure ulcer patients and give virtual consultations with healthcare specialists.
- The increased emphasis on pressure ulcer prevention in COVID-19 hospitalized patients has underlined the significance of effective and accessible treatment options for patients with pressure ulcers.
- When healthcare resources are allocated to non-COVID-19 health conditions, the pressure ulcer treatment market is likely to recover and increase.
Furthermore, the pandemic has accelerated the use of telehealth and remote patient monitoring technology, which may be used to remotely monitor pressure ulcer patients and enable virtual consultations with healthcare specialists. This has made pressure ulcer treatment and management more accessible to people who would not have been able to receive healthcare services in person.
Driving Factors for Boost of Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market:
These are a few of the elements fueling the growth of the pressure ulcer treatment market:
- Growing frequency of pressure ulcers: The increased prevalence of pressure ulcers, particularly among the elderly and immobile patients, is driving the demand for appropriate treatment alternatives.
- Technical advancements: The development of novel and sophisticated treatment alternatives, such as negative pressure wound therapy and tissue-engineered skin replacements, is projected to boost market expansion.
- Increased healthcare spending: Rising healthcare spending, particularly in developing nations, is predicted to drive demand for pressure ulcer treatment goods and services.
- Increasing pressure ulcer awareness: Growing pressure ulcer awareness among healthcare professionals and patients is driving demand for appropriate treatment alternatives.
- Government activities: Government measures to enhance healthcare infrastructure and services, as well as raise knowledge about pressure ulcers, are likely to increase demand for pressure ulcer treatment goods and services.
- Aging population: As the elderly are more likely to suffer pressure ulcers, the need for pressure ulcer therapy is predicted to rise.
Overall, these factors are projected to contribute to the expansion of the pressure ulcer treatment market in the approaching years.
Emerging Region of Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market:
These are some of the emerging pressure ulcer therapy markets,
- Asia-Pacific: Due to an aging population, rising healthcare costs, and more awareness of pressure ulcers, the Asia-Pacific region is likely to see considerable development in the pressure ulcer treatment market.
- Middle East and Africa: Due to increased healthcare infrastructure development and rising awareness of pressure ulcers, the Middle East and Africa region is likely to see growth in the pressure ulcer treatment market.
- Latin America: Due to the increasing prevalence of pressure ulcers and rising healthcare spending, the Latin America area is likely to see development in the pressure ulcer treatment market.
The Latin American area has an aging population and rising healthcare costs, which are likely to fuel demand for pressure ulcer treatment solutions. Furthermore, the area is experiencing an increase in the occurrence of pressure ulcers, notably in long-term care homes and hospitals, which is boosting the market growth.
Overall, these expanding areas provide tremendous potential prospects for the pressure ulcer treatment market due to factors such as rising healthcare expenditure, increased awareness, and improved healthcare infrastructure.
Innovative products and techniques for the treatment of pressure ulcers, such as enhanced wound dressings, negative pressure wound therapy, and electrical stimulation devices, are being developed by market participants.
It is anticipated that rising partnerships and cooperation between businesses and healthcare institutions would promote market expansion. For instance, to enhance the prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers, Mölnlycke Health Care established a relationship with the European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel (EPUAP) in 2020.
- Partnerships and Collaborations: To enhance the prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers, Mölnlycke Health Care established a relationship with the European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel (EPUAP) in 2020.
- Product Launches and Innovations: For the treatment of pressure ulcers, Acelity introduced the V.A.C. VERAFLO CLEANSE CHOICE Dressing in 2020. Its sophisticated wound dressing combines negative pressure wound therapy with instillation and dwell time.
- Expansion: Smith & Nephew increased its market share in China in 2019 by inaugurating a brand-new production plant in Suzhou. The company’s ability to better service the Chinese market for pressure ulcer treatment products is anticipated to result from this development.
- Acquisitions and Mergers: In 2020, Smith & Nephew purchased Integra Life Sciences’ extremities orthopedics division, which included pressure ulcer therapy devices. The product range of Smith & Nephew is anticipated to grow because of this purchase, as is its market share in the pressure ulcer therapy industry.
Generally, there is fierce competition in the market for pressure ulcer therapy, with the top competitors concentrating on innovation, alliances, and tactical acquisitions to increase their market share and spur development.