The variety of goods and services used to treat periodontal diseases, which are illnesses affecting the gums and tissues supporting the teeth, is referred to as the periodontal treatment market. These illnesses can range in severity from simple cases like gingivitis to more serious ones like periodontitis, which can cause tooth loss if untreated.
The Global Periodontal Treatment Market is valued at US$ 9,123.4 million in 2022 and is anticipated to reach US$ 19,814.7 million by the end of 2030 expected to register a CAGR of 10.2% from 2023 to 2030. (forecast period).
Dental devices, medications, and procedures are only a few of the goods and services available in the periodontal therapy market. Scalers, curettes, and ultrasonic devices are among the dental tools used in periodontal treatment to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth and gums. Antibiotics and antimicrobials, which can help manage bacterial infections in the gums, are among the medications used in periodontal treatment. Gum grafts, scaling and root planning, and periodontal surgery are examples of periodontal procedures that are used to remove diseased tissue and restore healthy gums.
The desire for aesthetic dental operations, increased frequency of periodontal disorders, and rising awareness of the value of oral hygiene are some of the reasons driving the market for periodontal therapy. Dental clinics and hospitals, pharmaceutical firms, and manufacturers of dental equipment are important market participants. In the upcoming years, it is anticipated that the market for periodontal therapy will expand as the world’s population continues to age and dental health continues to be a concern for people.
The prevalence of periodontal illnesses is rising, as are the numbers of those who are afflicted. Up to 10% of people worldwide are said to be affected by serious periodontal diseases, according to the World Health Organization. Periodontal disorders are more likely to develop in people who practise poor dental hygiene, smoke, and have specific medical conditions, such diabetes.
Innovative treatments and methods for treating periodontal disease have been created as a result of technical breakthroughs. For instance, periodontal surgery is increasingly using lasers to lessen bleeding and encourage quicker recovery. The development of precise and individualised treatment regimens also makes use of digital imaging and 3D printing technology.
DENTSPLY SIRONA, Zimmer Biomet, 3M Company, Danaher Corporation, and Institut Straumann AG are some of the major companies in the periodontal therapy market. To broaden their market presence and boost their revenue, these businesses are concentrating on developing innovative products, forming strategic alliances, and merging with complementary businesses.
Global Periodontal Treatment Market to Amid COVID-19 Pandemic:
The dental business as a whole has been hit by the COVID-19 epidemic, which has also had an effect on the market for periodontal treatments. Due to worries about the virus spreading, the pandemic has caused non-urgent dental operations, such as periodontal therapy, to be delayed.
As a result, the market for periodontal therapy has seen a fall in the demand for ancillary services, forcing many dental clinics and hospitals to curtail or temporarily suspend operations. A backlog of patients seeking dental care as a result of the delays in dental care may boost demand for periodontal care once the pandemic has passed.
The epidemic has, however, also brought attention to the value of maintaining excellent dental hygiene and the function of periodontal therapy in the prevention and treatment of periodontal disorders. To reduce the danger of virus transmission and offer patients with safe care, the dental industry has developed measures like increased usage of personal protective equipment (PPE), improved infection control practises, and telemedicine.
Despite the difficulties brought on by the pandemic, a recovery in the periodontal treatment industry is anticipated as the world’s population continues to age and dental health continues to be a concern for people. In the upcoming years, market expansion is anticipated to be fuelled by the use of digital technology as well as improvements in treatment alternatives.
Factors responsible for the boost in the Global Periodontal Treatment Market:
The market for periodontal treatment has grown as a result of a number of causes, including:
- Increasing incidence of periodontal illnesses: One of the main factors influencing the demand for periodontal therapy is the rising prevalence of periodontal diseases globally. Periodontal diseases are becoming more common as the population ages and lifestyles change, including poor eating patterns and tobacco use.
- Technological developments: The development of more effective and efficient treatment alternatives, including as laser therapy and digital imaging technologies, is the result of technological developments in periodontal therapy. Better patient outcomes have resulted from these improvements, which have increased the periodontal treatment’s accuracy, efficiency, and safety.
- Growing demand for cosmetic dentistry: The market for periodontal treatments is expanding as a result of the rising demand for cosmetic dentistry operations like teeth whitening and dental implants. Maintaining healthy gums and supporting tissues, which are necessary for effective cosmetic dentistry procedures, requires periodontal care.
- Rising oral health awareness: The demand for periodontal therapy is being driven by the increased understanding of the value of maintaining good oral health. Maintaining healthy gums and teeth requires routine dental examining and cleanings, early detection of periodontal disorders, and effective treatment.
- Government programmes: Programs like dental insurance coverage and education campaigns targeted at improving oral health are encouraging more people to seek periodontal therapy. These programmes are especially crucial in underdeveloped nations where access to dental care is poor.
Overall, these and other factors, including the development of dental care facilities in emerging nations and the rising use of minimally invasive procedures, are likely to fuel the growth of the global periodontal treatment market.
Emerging Markets for Global Periodontal Treatment Market:
Asia Pacific is one of the periodontal treatment market’s rising market regions. The periodontal treatment market in the region is anticipated to develop significantly because of a number of factors, including:
- Increased disposable income: The need for better healthcare, particularly periodontal treatment, is being driven by rising disposable income in the region’s developing nations. The demand for periodontal therapy is anticipated to increase as more people can afford dental care.
- Growing elderly population: The frequency of periodontal diseases is rising due to the region’s growing ageing population. The demand for periodontal therapy in the region is anticipated to be driven by this demographic trend.
- Rising oral health awareness: In Asia Pacific, demand for periodontal therapy is being driven by rising understanding of the need of maintaining good mouth health. To increase awareness and motivate people to seek treatment, regional governments and healthcare groups are also encouraging oral health education.
- Technological developments: Demand in the Asia Pacific region is anticipated to be driven by the use of cutting-edge technology, like laser therapy and digital imaging, in periodontal treatment. As these technologies become more widely accessible, patients in the region are becoming more aware of their advantages and requesting these treatments.
- Government initiatives: The need for periodontal therapy in the region is being driven by government initiatives aimed at promoting dental health, such as dental insurance coverage and incentives for dental procedures.
In general, these and other factors, including the rising adoption of minimally invasive procedures and the expansion of dental care services in the region, are expected to contribute to the periodontal treatment market experiencing significant growth in the Asia Pacific region in the upcoming years.
There are many significant businesses working in the fiercely competitive market for periodontal treatments. The following are some of the major market participants: Danaher Corporation DENTSPLY SIRONA Inc., 3M Company, Straumann Holding AG, and Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc., Geistlich Pharma AG, BioHorizons Implant Systems Inc., and Henry Schein Inc., Alpha-Bio Tec Ltd. and MIS Implants Technologies Ltd.
To create fresh and cutting-edge periodontal therapy products and technology, these businesses are investing in research and development. In order to diversify their product offerings and improve their market positions, they are also using techniques like joint ventures, partnerships, and mergers and acquisitions.
To connect its SureSmile aligner system with 3Shape’s TRIOS intraoral scanner, for instance, DENTSPLY SIRONA Inc. formed a strategic relationship with the company in 2020. The goal of this collaboration is to increase the effectiveness and precision of periodontal treatment.
In a similar vein, South Korean dental implant and related product maker T-Plus Implant Tech Co. Ltd.’s assets were purchased by Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc. in 2019. The goal of this acquisition was to increase Zimmer Biomet’s market position and diversify its product offering.
The periodontal treatment market is anticipated to remain competitive overall, with businesses concentrating on innovation and business alliances to keep ahead of the competition. The rivalry in the market is also anticipated to be fuelled by the growing acceptance of digital technology and the rising desire for minimally invasive procedures.