A C-arm is a piece of medical imaging equipment that uses X-ray technology and is useful for both diagnostic and interventional treatments. The x-ray generator (the x-ray tube) and x-ray detector (the image intensifier) are connected by a C-shaped arm, hence the name
The c-arms market is valued at US$ 1,824.12 Million in and is anticipated to reach US$ 2,592.00 Million by the end of 2030 with CAGR of 4.5% from 2023 to 2030.
C-arms are non-invasive tools used for fluoroscopic intraoperative imaging during challenging surgical and emergency care operations. They have radiographic capabilities and image intensifiers, which help to produce high-resolution X-ray images and enable doctors to track the course of surgery in real-time. Additionally, they aid in the visualization of abdominal and thoracic aortic aneurysm surgery, gastroenterology, neurostimulation, percutaneous valve replacements, and renal drainage. They are therefore extensively used in orthopedics, traumatology, cardiology, vascular surgery, pain management, and neurological procedures everywhere in the world.
C-arms Market to Recover Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
The COVID-19 outbreak is anticipated to have an effect on the market for C-arms. C-arms are used in image-guided operations, the majority of which are discretionary and were delayed because of COVID-19. As a consequence of this delay, hospitals avoided purchasing expensive capital equipment during the epidemic and instead concentrated on purchasing ventilators or other COVID-19 treatment-related equipment. A research that was released in the British Journal of Surgery estimates that approximately 28.4 million elective surgeries were postponed or cancelled globally in 2020 based on a 12-week timeframe of high COVID-19-related hospital service disruption. The COVID-19 epidemic caused more than 580,000 scheduled operations in India to be postponed or cancelled. However, according to the European Association of Urology guideline, while handling COVID-19 positive patients needing surgery, a specially equipped operating room needs to be designed, where a mobile C-arm fluoroscopic X-ray system for radiology and healthcare professionals will be needed for operating. Therefore, the market is expected to maintain its steady growth rate trajectory during the projection period, taking into account the increasing COVID-19 instances and their substantial impact on healthcare systems throughout the region.
Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases and Technological Advancement to Boost C-arms Market
The boost in the incidence of chronic disease due to changing lifestyles such as heart diseases, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory diseases, and others cause mortality and morbidity across the world, increasing number of surgical procedures, and an expanding demand for technologically advanced medical devices are the major factors driving the growth of the C-arms market share. Additionally, the market for C-arms is anticipated to expand as a result of the rise in technical developments in C-arms, such as enhanced imaging resolution and image intensifier tubes. These developments have made it possible to use C-arms for a range of procedures, such as tumor therapy, orthopedic surgery, and arterial surgery.
This is helping the market expand, along with consumers’ increasing desire for minimally invasive (MI) procedures and rising health awareness. In addition, the demand for C-arm computed tomography (CT) is rising as it helps institutions meet the need for three-dimensional (3D) imaging of heart anatomy.
North America to Spearhead the C-arms Market
North America is the fastest-growing segment in the C-arms market due to several factors, including:
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases: The increase in the prevalence of chronic disease due to changing lifestyles such as heart diseases, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory diseases in North America is contributing to the growth of c-arms market in this region.
- Rising technological advancement: The c-arms market in North America is anticipated to expand rapidly as a result of the developed healthcare infrastructure and quick technical developments.
- High frequency of diagnostic examination: Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases leads to high frequency of diagnostic examination. This factor has majorly contributed to the growth of c-arms market in North America.
- High standards of healthcare infrastructure: Government and private organizations in North America are investing heavily in the healthcare infrastructure leading to the development of c-arms market.
- Rising geriatric population: By 2060, there will be 94 million people in the United States who are 65 years of age or elderly, up from about 56 million in 2020. Thus, it is anticipated that the growing elderly population will result in more operations, which will help to boost total market demand.
Companies operating in the c-arms market have adopted several growth strategies to expand their market share and increase their revenue. Some of the major competitors in c-arms market AADCO Medical, Inc., Abbott., BMI Biomedical International s.r.l., Canon Inc. , Canon Medical Systems Corporation, Eurocolumbus s.r.l. , GE Healthcare, Genoray, Hologic Corp., Hologic, Inc., Koninklijke Philips NV, Nanjing Perlove Medical Equipment Co. Ltd, OrthoScan Inc., Shimadzu Corporation, Siemens Healthineers AG, Villa Sistemi Medicali Spa., Ziehm Imaging GmbH, etc.
- Partnerships and Collaborations: Companies are forming partnerships and collaborations to share expertise and resources to accelerate the development of new c-arms devices. These partnerships enable companies to leverage their strengths and develop new strategies more efficiently. For instance, German University Hospital Brandenburg a der Havel and Koninklijke Philips N.V. began working together in January 2022. The collaboration intended to improve the company’s market position while expanding the hospital’s diagnostic and therapeutic options. Turner Imaging Systems joined forces in June 2021 with MIS Healthcare, one of the major, autonomous providers of medical imaging technology in the UK and Ireland. The joint venture intended to sell its diagnostic facilities and other outlets with its SMART-C fluoroscopic mini C-arm.
- Product Development and Launches: Companies are investing in research and development to develop new products and improve existing products. These companies are launching new products in the market to expand their product portfolios and gain a competitive advantage. In January 2022, Philips announced the introduction of a cutting-edge new 3D image guidance features device through its image-guided therapy mobile C-arms System – Zenition. It provides improved clinical precision and speed and seeks to enhance the results for patients receiving endovascular therapy. The Persona CS mobile fluoroscopy device, a novel, compact mobile imaging option for operating rooms (OR) environments, was introduced by FUJIFILM Healthcare in November 2021.
- Geographical Expansion: Companies are expanding their geographical presence by entering new markets and establishing a presence in regions with high growth potential. This enables companies to tap into new customer bases and increase their revenue.
- Acquisitions and Mergers: Companies are acquiring or merging with other companies to gain access to new technologies, expertise, and product pipelines. These acquisitions and mergers enable companies to expand their capabilities and product offerings and increase their market share. Due to numerous mergers and acquisitions, the mobile C-arm market is experiencing fierce rivalry. For instance, Ziehm Imaging revealed in August 2020 that it had acquired Therenva, a company that created planning and imaging software tools for cardiovascular operations. With this purchase, Ziehm Imaging hopes to promote Therenva’s existing product line across the globe using its extensive mobile C-arm system distribution network.
- Marketing and Promotional Activities: Companies are investing in marketing and promotional activities to increase awareness and educate healthcare professionals and patients about the benefits of c-arms devices. This enables companies to increase demand for their products and drive sales.
Overall, these growth strategies enable companies to expand their market presence, develop new products, and increase their revenue in the c-arms market.